martes, 6 de julio de 2010

I lost my fear of writing in English.


This semester I had to write a blog in English. It was the first time that I had to do this in my academic life. I thought it was a big challenge, because I never had the opportunity to write in another language before. Besides I didn’t know how to use this web tool.
To start this new task for me, the first thing that I had to do was create a blog. It was very hard for me, because I have never used this platform, so I had no idea about how to manage it.
After the big technical challenge, that this meant for me, I could create my first blog account. However, my problem wasn’t a technical issue. The most difficult was writing. I had not enough vocabulary, I didn’t know how to connect different ideas and I had serious problems with the grammar. Something very different happens to me when I write in Spanish, because in this language it is very easy for me.
I think that one of the reasons of why writing in English was very hard for me was that in high school most of my classmates knew how to speak and write in English very well. Even some of them came from different countries, because they were on a student exchange program, so they speak in this language fluidly. For this situation, the English teachers taught the subject very fast, so it was more difficult to me to reach my classmates level.
For all this, the first blog entry was a big challenge. I never could finish at time, and I always had to read the teacher’s instructions before the class begin to think with anticipation what I was going to redact in my blog.
It cost me a lot of work to write in English. Sometimes I felt so stressed that I couldn’t write anything. However, the teacher was always there to help me out. Even my classmates did. They told me how to write better, and also gave me the meanings of unknown words.
With the passage of time, writing blogs became easier for me. Writing in my blog started to be more entertaining. I could finish my entries in class, I didn’t ask too much as I did before, and I could express my ideas more clearly.
I believe that this exercise was very useful to learn grammar and vocabulary, but I don’t feel that I could express my self in English very well. I think that I learnt a lot, but it is not enough, because I didn’t dedicate too much time studying for this class. One of the reasons of this is that this semester has been the most difficult on my career.
Despite of my insecurity, I feel that now I am more prepared to write and even speak English and this is the result of redacting about different things on my blog every week.
Definitely writing blogs in the class has been very productive for me. I have made a huge progress, and I learnt many things. Is true, are many other things to learn, but in this moment I can say that I lost my fear of writing in English.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario